On November 2nd, Walton Robotics competed at the Georgia Robotics Invitational Tournament and Showcase. Walton placed 7th during qualifications with a Ranking Score of 1.71. Walton was the number one ranked alliance’s first pick. The alliance then ended up winning the GRITS finals 2-1 with a final score of 82-74, claiming the title of GRITS 2019 Champions! Thank you to our alliance leader Flying Legion 3635 and our alliance partners Firestorm 6341 and The Asimovians 5632 for an amazing performance!
The Walton Robotics Team/WRT/2974 competed at the South Carolina Robotics Invitational and Workshops (SCRIW) tournament in Columbia, SC on 10/26/19. WRT ended qualification matches seeded #1. After choosing 4451/Robotz Garage, 4935/T-Rex and Team 9998 as our alliance partners, WRT won the quarterfinals matches 2-0, earning a spot in the finals. WRT lost the first finals match, but won the next two to win the SCRIW event!
The GirlsFIRST Workshop at Walton High School on Saturday, Oct 19th, 2019 was a ton of fun! Our team hosted a halloween themed GirlsFIRST workshop event. Middle school girls were introduced to the world of STEM and empowered by participating in a multitude of fun STEM-focused activities. Huge thank you to Georgia FIRST for helping us out with this event!
Walton Robotics is hosting a free workshop for middle school girls that are interested in STEM on October 19, 2019 from 9:00am-4:00pm at Walton High School. We will be doing engineering activities and introducing girls to the world of STEM. If you are interested, sign-up by clicking here and wear your halloween costume!
The GA FIRST Symposium at KSU on Saturday, Sept 7th, 2019 was a huge success. Team members were able to attend sessions on various topics to increase their knowledge. A few of our team members also presented at the symposium and they did a fabulous job! The presentation for the Innovating Community Outreach session is available to download.
This free event is for anyone who is interested in learning more about electrical, mechanical, software, hardware, fundraising, sponsorships, and the FIRST program in general.
This is not a team event, but individuals may be interested in attending this event. You must register before attending. But it’s not too late to register today, Friday Sept 6th. Click here for information on how to register.
This event will count as a “business event” that is required to letter in robotics.
Register for the 10:10am session called, “Innovating Community Outreach” that will be presented by our very own Walton Robotics Team to cheer them on!
Here are helpful tips for those that are going:
- Park at the Central Parking Deck, the address is:
525 Parliament Garden Way NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Click here for a campus map. Parking is free for registered guests.
- Go to the Bailey Performance Center to check-in for the 8:30am Welcome Session at 488 Prillaman Way, Kennesaw, GA 30144.
- If you registered for lunch, check-in at the lunch ticket distribution table (located just inside the entrance at Bailey Performance Center). Pay $5.00 per person(cash or check only) and receive your lunch tickets. You will hand this ticket to the cashier at The Commons as you enter the dining hall. Do not lose your ticket, as the price at the door is $13.00.
- Plan to arrive early enough to park, walk to the Bailey Performance Center, pay for lunch, receive your tickets, check-in for the $1,000 grant give-away, and be in your seats for the Welcome Session at 8:30am.
- Click here for a list of all session times, titles and room assignments. This is a walking intensive event, so know which building your sessions are in and where the buildings are before you go.
If you are unable to attend the event, you can watch some of it live streamed and all session presentations will be posted on the gafirst.org website the week of September 9th. The Welcome Session at 8:30am and the FIRST Tech Challenge Game Reveal Kick-Off session at 12:00 noon will be live streamed. Please go to the Kennesaw State University Network to view it.
We are now taking applications for team membership! Applications for membership will be due via email by August 10, by 6 pm.
Here are some important dates regarding potential team membership:
- August 7 – Club fair at Walton
- August 8 – Open house at old East Cobb Middle School (our build site), 630 pm
- August 10 – Applications due by 6 pm
- August 11 – Students are notified with time and date of interview
- August 12 – Interviews at old East Cobb Middle School media center (380 Holt Road)
- August 13 – Students notified of team membership
- August 15 – Mandatory team meeting at old East Cobb Middle School, 630 pm (parent and student must attend)
- August 21 – Mandatory team meeting at old East Cobb Middle School, 630 pm
To apply for the team, you’ll need to fill out both a student and a parent application. Membership is competitive and not all that apply make the team.
Student application – click to download
Parent application – click to download
Here’s how you submit your application.
- Download both applications.
- Open in Word and complete the applications. (you are encouraged to spell and grammar check!)
- Sign both applications – simply print your name in the signature box
- Export both files into PDF documents. There should be two!
Save or rename the files with the following format:
- [STUDENT LAST NAME], [STUDENT FIRST NAME] – student application.PDF
- [STUDENT LAST NAME], [STUDENT FIRST NAME] – parent application.PDF
- Email the 2 pdfs to [email protected]
Applications are reviewed by a panel of team mentors. You will be notified of a possible interview. Interviews are scheduled between 6 pm and 930 pm, in 15-minute blocks.
Remember, membership is competitive!
April 27, 2019 — Rain or Shine!
Walton High School Campus
1590 Bill Murdock Road
Join us for a S.T.E.M. Extravaganza to raise funds for Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta’s cancer research projects. Our goal: 350 “Robot Laps” featuring drones, LEGO EV3’s, competition robots and much MORE! YOU can drive a robot and raise money to cure cancer!
Walton’s Robotics Team, Swim & Dive Team and Principals Leadership Committee invite the Walton Community to enjoy an evening in Raider Valley featuring yummy concessions, interactive booths, music, and lots of ROBOTS from 4-9pm. A S.T.E.M. Fair for elementary students from 4-6pm promises hands-on fun activities and an opportunity to earn an official “Robot Driver’s License”! A candlelight ceremony will be held at 8:30 to honor cancer survivors and remember members of our community that we have lost.
To donate to our CHOA fundraising team, click here: CHOA donation
Note: In case of inclement weather, the event will be held in the WHS Gym. Check the Walton Robotics website for current information. Follow signs for parking.
Walton Robotics is proud to announce completion of the 2019 game field at the Walton Robotics Regional Robotics Center, located at the old East Cobb Middle School. Open field sessions commence immediately! Check the DE website for days and times and to register.
Walton and Wheeler parents spent over 1,200 hours and $8,001 constructing a competition-grade field. Thanks to our sponsors and contributors.
- Cobb County School District
- Walton Robotics Foundation
- Baldwin Design Works
- Georgia First
- Ankle & Foot Centers of Georgia
- Kennesaw State University